Horrorstör

Horrorstor -  Grady Hendrix

An inventive riff on an otherwise tired formula, Hendrix here presents his by-the-numbers haunted house tale as a catalogue from a store that represents IKEA. Though much of this charm was lost on me as I read it on my ereader, full props to the author (and his design team?) for what must have been a killer physical book.

Anyway, Horrorstör starts as a comical stab at giant department stores, its employees, and the people that shop there almost compulsively, until it morphs into a pseudo-horror that is not at all frightening. As might be obvious, I enjoyed the first half but just waded through the serviceable back end. I felt my interest waning once the novelty of the presentation and the amusing comments about IKEA and the way it operates became repetitive.

So, overall, I found this to be a middle of the road reading experience, but would check out Hendrix's next offering to see how he tries to top this.

3 Useless Purchases I Only Realised I Didn't Need Until I Got Home for Horrorstör.

The preceding was based on a copy obtained through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1103576622?book_show_action=false