SPOILER ALERT!

Terror of the Abominable Snowman

Terror of The Abominable Snowman - James Baack, Eric S. Brown

There are two ways to view this novella by James Baack and Eric S Brown. The first is through the "It's so bad, it's good" filter. If you're someone who appreciates this type of read, then pick this one up, because you will be howling with laughter by the 40% point.

But I'm not someone who reads books to be entertained by how bad they are. Sometimes my movie watching proclivities tend in this direction (I know, I'm not proud of it), but when I read I want to be entertained in a genuine way. So I viewed Terror of the Abominable Snowman through a very different type of filter - one in which I was horrified, but for all the wrong reasons.

How else can you react to a novella in which a researcher gets funded to lead an expedition to Nepal to find the mythical yeti, but opt to look for this "snowman" in the jungle, where they are promptly set upon by cannibals. The survivors find the yeti, but as they bring it down, there is a double-cross and another powerful country comes into play. An escape follows, the yeti goes on a mid-flight rampage, but manages to fall to earth safely and then goes on another rampage in a mountain area of the US. There it runs into the apparent hero of the piece, a Chicago cop who, fresh from his latest shoot-out, has been dragged off on a skiing holiday by his girlfriend ... And all this occurs in 74 pages!

So what we have here is a novella that has a plot a young teenager would dream up, with the character building to match. Seriously, some of the characters are detailed as far as their name and penchant for which weapon they like the use. That's it. Only Rick, the Chicago cop, gets any kind of detail to his backstory, and that basically consists of liking monster movies because of his dear old Dad and killing bad guys on another typical day on the job.

Any idea that Baack or Brown cared about this tale was quickly eliminated when I realised they and their proof-readers/editors weren't even prepared to keep the same tense in their writing. By the end of page one, they've shifted from the present tense to the past tense, and then on several other occasions through the book lapse back into present tense. For a sentence or three. And then we're back to past tense. It's decidedly jarring. Then there are the multitude of typos and copy-editing errors to contend with. At one point, for example, the group discuss having to contend with "viscous Yetis". I know it's only a letter missing, but it changed the meaning of the sentence significantly enough to have me laughing about what kind of threat an oozing, sticky, liquid type of yeti would have.

Look, I could go on. I really could. But I dislike ragging on people's creative work, so let's just sum up that I found this to be a terrible novella. I know Brown has had some serious success with his BIGFOOT WAR series, so maybe there's a great deal more to those reads. Regardless, pick this one up only as a quick curiosity, but don't say I didn't warn you ...

1 Bullet-Dodging Mythical Beast for Terror of the Abominable Snowman.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1087376782?book_show_action=false