Grasshopper Season review

Grasshopper Season - Jonathan Moon
Giant, carnivorous grasshoppers powered by some form of cosmic horror? Weird as my reading tastes can sometimes be, this synopsis for Grasshopper Season got my motor running.

But unfortunately, my first foray into the world of Jonathan Moon was not a positive one.

For starters, this series of short tales collected together was in dire need of a proper editor as well as a proof-reader. I lost count of the number of spelling mistakes, typos and formatting errors the kindle edition I had was infused with. No matter how good a story is, it's going to lose me if I wind up being more aware of the mistakes in the copy than I am of the characters and their motivations.

Secondly, this was just too short. Moon spent a few pages building up a character, only to have them meet the grasshoppers within seconds of that introduction. No-one had any time to grow on me as a reader (or feel like anything other than caricature in most cases) before they met their inevitable fate.

The evil responsible for the grasshoppers growing large and preferring human sized meals is only vaguely described and utterly confusing in its workings. Worse, the one story/chapter from its human marionette's perspective is written so that every single sentence starts with the word "He". I can only assume this was deliberate, but it took me right out of the story as it became disconcertingly annoying. Worse, if it was deliberate there was one sentence - one! - that started with "It". Huh?

It might sound like I'm being overly picky, and perhaps I am, but there were so many technical issues with Moon's writing that the simplistic story (which was basically repeated from one chapter to another, just with different human victims) was overshadowed. Even Moon's choice to go with the omniscient POV and dart back and forth between characters as often as every new paragraph served to bother me.

I have another of Moon's works on my TBR pile, Hollow Mountain Dead, so I'm hoping it being released through a reputable publishing company like Permuted Press will correct many of the issues I had with Grasshopper Season. But I have to say, I'm not holding my breath.

1 to 1.5 Unnaturally Glowing Shacks for Grasshopper Season.
Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1248320314?book_show_action=false