A Head Full of Hype/Ghosts review

A Head Full of Ghosts - Paul G. Tremblay

A Head Full of Ghosts appears on about 80% of the Best Reads of 2015 lists I've seen over the past month or so. Brian Keene named it his favourite read of 2015. Fans of dark fiction fervently seem to froth at the mouth whenever the name Paul Tremblay is mentioned.

Yes, the hype train has well and truly left the station with this one.

Which explains why I found it to be a reasonably entertaining distraction (after a fairly slow beginning) building toward a thought-provoking conclusion ... and nothing more. Paul Tremblay is clearly a quality writer technically. He is also skilled at capturing the POV of a young girl, but the central mystery was fairly average from my perspective. Not enough happened, and aside from one scene (featuring a blanket and cardboard house), none of it was remotely frightening or thrilling.

But I'm not going to try and change anyone's mind. A Head Full of Ghosts simply did not push my buttons in the way it seems to have done the vast majority of others. Just consider this one of the relatively small number of dissenting voices advocating expectations be lowered before you go racing off to catch the aforementioned hype train.

3 Reasons Your Family Isn't So Bad After All for A Head Full of Ghosts.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1369619857?book_show_action=false