The Abyss Above Us - Half a Book review

The Abyss Above Us - Ryan Notch

The first part of a two part book series, The Abyss Above Us represents an effort to bring elements of Lovecraftian horror into the technological age as a computer system expert uncovers something evil manipulating a powerful telescope for unknown purposes.

Ryan Notch certainly seems to have pinned down the tech side of what is presented in this novella. It most definitely read authentically, insofar as his main character seems to know what he is talking about. However, the structure of The Abyss Above Us is all over the place. Most of the horror takes place off page and is only referred to by one character telling another about it; a small group of characters is established in the first half of the book, and then suddenly, a whole new group of characters are introduced half way through, who, at the end point of this book, have only barely begun to circle the major thread peripherally; and, worse, those characters seem to drone on about their love life for a full third of the page count.

Quite simply, if I wanted to read about good looking twenty-somethings gushing over one another and pining about "the one they can't have", I'd tune in to Melrose Place re-runs. I certainly wouldn't be picking up a horror novella that seemed to have a good angle on a classic horror concept.

And the ending was painful. Truly painful. Like end of Season 6 The Walking Dead painful. I enjoy a cliffhanger as much as the next person when it is handled appropriately. But when a book fails to close or satisfy any single narrative arc within its page count - so it seems like an original manuscript was simply ripped approximately in two - that comes across less like a cliffhanger and more like someone wanting to make double the money for the same amount of work.

2 Mysteriously Hidden Offices for The Abyss Above Us.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/901767155